Wednesday 24 February 2010

Raging in the Plague Age

I can finally be more specific about what I've been doing for the last week. I've not had the best of week as I've been to the doctors twice and today the hospital. I have tendonitis. I have had no idea what was the matter until todays little visit to the hospital. My poor tendons (the little things that attatch bones to each other) are INFLAMMED, meaning I ache like a bastard. It's like the ache you get from a long gym session but all day and without the smug satisfaction. The way they test for tendonitis is what makes the whole trip memorable. The doctor makes you lie down and then pokes you below your belly button but above the most sensitive of all male autonomy and tells you to try and sit up. I struggled and strained and honestly really fucking tried but despite him only exterting small pressure through one finger I couldn't sit up. It was actually pretty scary and I know its a medical test but its hard not to feel emasculated as you battle unsuccessfully with a man's index finger. I've been poked, pulled, elbowed and at one point even flicked, the man's a pro. He's given me some pills which I plan to make a huge effort of taking and making a huge meal of in front of the children, and hopefully I'll be right as rain in two weeks time.

This is how I discovered I wasn't registered as when I went to the doctor they found no record of a Mark Jonathan. They can't get their head around my name. In Spain you have both your fathers and mothers surname, they can't understand that Jonathan is my middle name and thus goes unsaid. The language was a bit of a problem but we made it through, though on their form at first it did say I was 11 which gave the doctor a shock when I came in.

Feel free to send cards, grapes etc and if anyone wants to sit by my bedside thats fine with me. Admittedly I won't be in bed, I'll be at work like normal but no harm in trying your luck.

love love love x

No comments: