Sunday 7 February 2010

The Pope of Chili Town

This week was better. The kids were nicer, the exams are over and the sun is beginning to emerge from weather the devil it has been for a few months.

This weekend's biggest endeavour has been my first venture into mass cooking for other people. Cormac leaves tomorrow morning so people came to the flat for dinner, and I stepped up. It was a small thing for a few people, and I thought I could handle it, but as the week went on it got bigger and the final task was to cook dinner for 12 people. One of which was Italian, which was just intimidating. When it came to choosing what to cook, there was only one option, yeah that’s right, the mother of all chillis



FOUR packs of mince, TWO peppers, ONE AND A BIT cans of beans A SHIT LOAD of tomato sauce. It was a gruelling three hour marathon. There were problems along the way, we had nowhere near enough plates of cutlery so some people got plastic ones like a school disco/church function. The electricity in the flat cuts out constantly and having three hobs on was asking for trouble so we spent quite a lot of time sitting the dark, as I was trying to cook I didn't even get to use to opportunity to grope. Then I had some rice issues, the first lot was only fit for low level wall papering. Fortunately I got away with it. Everyone was socially obliged to say it was nice so I'm claiming the win. I need more practice otherwise I'll never be middle class enough to marry some complete bitch with a name like Claudia who will make me move to Surrey force me to wear pastel jumpers and talk constantly about council tax.

That was the main task of the weekend, other than that had some drinks on Friday where they had a panache for setting drinks alight and went to see Osasuna on Sunday. They beat Tenerife to make it four league wins in a row, but the main entertainment was watching kids throw paper at a guy who had no way of getting to them so just spent the second half shouting and gesturing only to have more thrown at him

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY_nh0YMLx8

Be good

love love love x


2 comments:

Melanie said...

If Claudia is worth her salt as a bitch-wife she won't let you near the kitchen...only the annual family BBQ...and your genetically predisposed to be good with fire.

mjp said...

I'm sure 'the help' will deal with that sort of thing...

I can handle a bbq, cook it until it has virtually disintegrated, mmm goodness.