Saturday 8 November 2008

Second First Impressions

Despite having been to Romania before it was still a shock. At the airport someone took my bag. A man ran all over looking for it and when he thought he had it was terrible to tell him the bag he found wasnt mine, he looked quite upset! The taxi driver that had come to meet me was great and despite not knowing what each other was talking about we managed to find the desk where thankfully my bag was waiting. Someone had taken it by mistake.

I was shown around the school briefly, which has everything I could need and the people were lovely, though I can't remember any of their names. Then I was taken to my flat. The area looks like a south London housing estate would if it had been under communist rule for sixty years, but that appears to be normal. The flat is great though. Basic but then so am I so I think ill do well here. Im an internet cafe across the street but I will put up some photos once Im allowed on the buildings internet network, the explanation was well over my head. Strangely I found out today I have no control over my heating at all, when I asked who did, I was told simply - the government. I have already embarrassed myself in my local shop, who when they found out I was English started to call me mummy.

Today the teacher trainer, Serina invited me to lunch with her and another girl named Dodo. I asked why she was called Dodo and all she said was that because she was told she looked like a "fuzzy sun", no I don't understand either. She did tell me that Mark spelt with a K is a very fancy name here, so I may swan around like royalty from now on. Serina showed me around, a clothes shop which resembled a brawl and a fantastic shop which sold hundreds of English books and also CDs and DVDs. Today reminded me of what I liked about Bucharest. Its nicer than it first appears and theres plenty of museums, parks and bars.

...no sign of Dan Peterscu

No comments: