Monday 17 November 2008

Jibberish

Buna, englez and englezoaica! I had my first Romanian lesson today. Its full of ungodly combination of letters, such as frantuzoaica, and more accents than French. It makes your tongue do things that would make a whore blush. I feel bad for the poor girl who teaches me, she speaks as much English as I do Romanian, she has a pretty hopeless task. She teaches via a combination of pictures, hand gestures and sympathetic smiles. I only provoked one outbreak of hysteria, as a I tried to predict what the word for a Turkish man would be. I hit it hard recalling the rules I had been taught so far to come up with an epic sounding noise that vaguely represented a word, it turns out the answer was Turc.

So: Ma numesc Mark. Eu (pronounced yoy?!) sunt din Anglia. Eu sunt student el (?) Roman, lucreza la International house.

That resembles Romanian so it's a start. Also:

bine= alright/ok
multimesc= thank you
verig= please
sigur= sure
care e= which
pa=goodbye to a friend

This has been picked up from watching Seinfeld (which is on all the time) with Romanian subtitles. Hopefully this little visit will have proved educational, you have learnt more than my students. pa!

Disclaimer: There is a good chance that none of the above information is accurate.

No comments: