Sunday 30 August 2009

Team Meat / Salad Days

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/30/frank-evens-bullfighter-salford-spain

On the basis of this article the Spanish really need to spend some more time thinking up nicknames. I'm not sure whether I admire this guy or just think he's crazy. To do what you love for as long as possible is what we should all aim to do but nonetheless dancing with bulls isn't something I'd be doing at 67 with a wife, kids and grandkids. Then you have the question of whether stabbing an already weakened bull for 15 minutes is anything anyone should be doing.

Sitting here I don't really see the point. It does just seem an over elaborate way to kill a bull slowly and painfully. I say this as an avowed meat eater who isn't particularly squeamish when it comes to animal rights, but it does seem cruel. It's only purpose is for entertainment. It is a very old tradition but then so was bear baiting and cock fighting. It is also a tradition that we as foreigners don't understand, it's not a part of our culture and history, but there are practices we are critical of all over the world. Just because something bad happens in a different country doesn't mean everyone else just has to shut up. British culture gets criticized by others and just saying your foreign and don't understand is a cop out. The only thing is, I haven't seen a bullfight. I hope to see one and hear some Spanish defences of it and then I can say I'm fully informed. Though apparently the Spanish aren't as big fans of the bull fight as you might think.

Theres some light weight debate for you. I might have a crack at Israel Palestine next time, get that settled by teatime Thursday.

love love love x

No comments: