Sunday 23 August 2009

Same Boy You've Always Known


"The moment the Ashes were won"- Picture may not be one hundred percent accurate

Rupert Murdoch, Skippy, AC/DC, Kylie Minogue, Shelia's Wheels, Russel Crowe, Germaine Greer, Rolf Harris, Pat Rafter, Crocodile Dundee, the entire cast of neighbours, that fella that dresses up as Edna Everage, your boys took one hell of a beating.

It was bloody good. After getting quite annoyed when Ponting and Hussey bedded in for the afternoon it was all worth it. Despite not scoring as many runs and not taking as many wickets we won! Our house greeted as we greet all sporting triumph, Dad exploded in a storm of xenophobic joy, my sister squealed, I acted as if I had batted at 4, Mum couldn't care less, it was beautiful.

I'm actually a little giddy from sporting success, like a child that has eaten too much pick and (I refuse to use 'n') mix Charlton have won 4 league games out of 4! 100% record! Wycombe, CONQUERED, Hartlepool, OVERPOWERED, Leyton Orient, HUMBLED, Walsall, ROUTED. I really don't know whats happening, I need to lie down in a darkened room. Sure we don't have a squad and soon as we pick up some injuries it will slip away but that makes it more important to enjoy it now. League 1 is a strange experience. I went to Leyton Orient, which is a dump, where Charlton fans were close to if not outnumbering the home fans and the game after, Walsall, brought less than 100 fans to the home of football. Its because they were so resigned to defeat.

I took a visiting Dutchman to the football. His name is Jochem/Jochan/Jockan. He's friends with family friends and for some reason always enjoys a trip to watch Charlton. I was blown away by his car which has more technology than the early space shuttles.

What John's car (Lucinda) lacks in technology (including some really basic car things) she makes up for in character. John drove us upto London to keep Alex company as Smith was away, we know our place. We played the longest game of Articulate ever. If you don't know the aim of Articulate you have a card and you have to describe the word without using it. So for example you might have "Yorkshire" and you would describe it without saying Yorkshire. Neither team was amazing though John and me did lose, it didn't help with John shouting "THE RIVER JESUS WAS BAPTIZED IN!!!" and then being disappointed when I didn't get the answer, sacred to Hindus, the River Gangees. RE teachers need to up their game.

I managed to catch up with fellow former Waitrosers Kaylie and Jess. It is much better now I get to see them without having to pretend to be working. For the record Kaylie and Jess are to the world of selling baked items what Usain Bolt is to the world of running really really fucking fast, I was the shitty one. They would also write better blogs, what with trips to Peru and love triangles.

I thought the blog needed a kick up the arse. My first thought was to get involved in a love triangle of my own and then write the car crash that followed but that would be beyond what I could achieve with my looks and charm so instead, a countdown is being started! Everyone knows countdowns are fun, just ask Vordeman.

25 days to Spain
Accommodation: None
Level of Spanish: Zero to Very Poor
Level of English: Dropping Steadily. I said writed the other day, I was almost sick.

No comments: