Tuesday 20 January 2009

It Turns Out TEFL is a Job

I was up at 6 this morning, as I am every morning (check me out). I left the house at 7, I got home at half past nine. Lessons were finished by 10.00 so the rest of the day was solid, unadulterated lesson planning. This is mainly, but not solely, due to my formal observation tomorrow, which is drawing close. I'm nervous as I don't know what the standards are. The observer is an English lady called Serina. She is a big fan of getting the students up and making them move around. So my students are in for a shock when they arrive and are told that there are various slips of coloured paper stuck around the room for them to find. I'll be glad when it's all over. Thanks to being in the office until late, I think at least a few people, now think I'm a sad workaholic who avoids going home as he would only sit around in his underwear, eating shit and dreaming of another full day in the office. Which I suppose from the workaholic and dreaming stuff isn't to far from the truth.

Staying late has its advantages. I got to see Robert which is always a joy. With in minutes he was mouthing obscenity about various female members of staff and was throughly enjoying telling me how weak English swear words were. He was a former teacher at the school and he is returning solely to teach one student, a friend of his. Robert claims the only reason his friend wants him as a teacher is so he can tell Robert to 'suck it'.

Weekend was good. Involved something called a bucket bong, which involves (unsurprisingly) a bucket half filled with water and a 2l bottle of water with the base cut off. The science behind it was incredible. Played some poker, did shockingly badly, didn't win a single hand.

Had some more Romanian lessons (more coming later) and its going ok. It has made me worry about my memory, It's unbelievable how quickly I can forget something.

I hope everything is rosey with you. I'm off to watch Obama's inauguration day, you can't help but feel inspired.

love love love

No comments: