Wednesday 7 January 2009

Back In Bucharest

After a lovely Christmas break I have made my return to Bucharest and it's nice to be back. The flight was uneventful but you can normally rely on a Bucharest taxi driver to liven up your day. He was a massive guy who didn't speak as much English as he thought, since starting this job I know how he feels. He shouted abuse about his ex-wife, the hussy now lives in Italy, and then asked me if I liked "wesslink". He knew I was confused when I just laughed and said 'yes, very nice'. Turns out he meant wrestling. He demonstrated what he meant by, pointing to his cauliflower ears and then by flexing his arms and insisting that I felt his muscles. He repeated this at every red light we stopped at. I tried to stop this but he was very insistent. I made a joke about how small my arms are and he just looked at me with contempt. I might have to go and beef up and then hang around the airport. After establishing that he could destroy me at will he virtually threw me out of the door.

Went to meet a few people in the evening which was good, ended up being out much later than I thought, and with the early start for the flight, it meant being awake for 24 hours which I paid for on Sunday.

Slipped back into work without to much difficulty. On Monday it was great to see people again, though it was clear that mentally we were all still on holiday. I've learnt that Romanian Christmas isn't too far separated from ours, it also involves eating an obscene amount, though its all boiled and wrapped in vine leaves, apparently. Its warmer here than at home and the Russians haven't cut off my gas so happy days indeed. This is just a quick post as my internet connection has died, so forgive me if it takes longer to reply to any message. I'm back in the internet cafe, they have switched the music from gangster rap to mtv. Songs are released a bit later here than at home, Katy Perry is still kissing girls, but don't worry its innnaaaaaccceeennnnntttttt.

Happy new year

No comments: