Saturday 20 August 2011

The Joy Formidable

Hello! I hope this post finds you well.

It has been a busy week. Had some farewell drinks with the summer camp guys. It was a lot of fun and a little strange to play ring of fire with my bosses. What everyone had been waiting for was the final rendition of a song that has been being written for the last few weeks. It was in honour of a Russian woman who was accompanying a group of kids. It was called 'I Would Eat You (If You Were Made of Chips).' It brought a tear to my eye.

I made my regular pilgramage to Cambridge. Thanks to Kelvin and Sophie for letting me sleep on their floor and thanks to Mark for taking some time out of his busy schedule to have a few drinks. I had a really good time. Most of it was spent as any trip should be and sat in a variety of pubs. Sometimes inside, sometimes outside, sometimes by water, sometimes not. Perfect. We had a lovely picnic by the river that couldn't even be ruined by a horde of evil swans. I have said it before and will say it again, I really like Cambridge. It's not even ruined by hordes of bicycles. Hordes have no power.

One of the main things it has done to me has got me thinking about my future, which is always a dangerous pursuit. The thought of doing a masters has been on the back burner somewhere in my the back of mind for a while, but after the rave reviews that master courses got over the week and the exciting news of someone actually getting employed with one has pushed it further it the foreground. I spent a few hours last night doing some research and there are some great ones but the same nagging problems remains. That problem is that I don't have nine grand knocking around. If anyone wants to volunteer some, let me know. There are some other questions. Should I try to find a job before applying? Do I have the ability to do one? Should I got to Korea to teach first where you can make thousands in a year? Any advice would be welcome. I am so easily swayed.

The other exicting news is that my uncle is here. He lives in Cincinatti and only comes over every two years or so. He is currently sleeping in my sister's room and is snoring like he has swallowed a turkey. My great uncle Chris and his wife Maureen are also home from Australia. In their honour the family of Maureen held a bbq in their honour. We were invited down and spend some time with people who really qualify under the loosest possible definition of family. It was a strange afternoon, I was told a few times that it was really nice to see by someone who didn't know my name. Our family huddled together with my sister making observations, my favourite being "she looks like a fish". The real entertainment was provided by my uncle who went around telling people he was gay. He isn't, but it provided some laughs until my mum outed him as straight. Killyjoy.

love love love x

No comments: