Friday 12 August 2011

England Keep My Bones

Its been quite a week hasn't it? Despite what some people claim I don't think many of us saw that coming. Watching the news this week has been awful and yet I have been compelled to watch, read and listen to as much as possible. I confess to having taken a morbid fascination in the whole thing. Dave is on TV now talking tough as I'm writing this. As it has calmed down for now at least, everyone is trying to explain what happened and it all seems so complicated and so simple at the same time. As usual people who have spoken about understanding what happened have been accused of justifying it. As a former history student, though not a very good one, and having spent some time writing essays about and trying to understand some truly horrific people that criticism is obviously ridiculous. Some people have given deep reasons of urban poverty and moral decay while others have said that it all simply about getting a new pair of trainers. I think it's a bit of both. New trainers aren't the problem. The problem is, and I include myself in this, that we at every level of society are too focused on stuff. Stuff we can really do without. Everywhere we see people looking out for themselves. Whether it be "greed is good" bankers or expense fiddling politicians. It's not just them, we have a huge credit card debt in this country and as Bluewater can testify that, even the day after Christmas, will queue and wait however long to get into a shopping centre. We define little girls as shoppers. It's not even just us, as I mentioned in an earier post all the kids at my camp wanted to do in London was shop. No interest in the sights, just shopping. It all started with Mark Duggan, who will probably be forgotten about, but people saw their chance and took stuff they otherwise would never be able to afford. That's my take on things anway. Sorry to get all sociological on you. Feel free to correct me.

The whole thing has left my Mother looking out of the window in case New Ash Green kicks off, so far, so good. My Dad can't believe his luck that he's been off all week and my sister dragged her boyfriend against his will to London today. If she didn't get to see We Will Rock You tonight then New Ash Green may well have been in flames tonight. So different, yet I'm assured we are related. The small remnants of camp had a last minute diversion to Thorpe Park which I'm told they enjoyed. I do worry what the millions of people around the world think when they see it all but I suppose there's nothing that can be done about that. Other countries have riots too. I just hope they all see the people cleaning up too.

Oh dear David Starkey is on TV tieing himself in knots; my grandmother will be cheering him on.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5ogOH82Aw


love love love x

No comments: