Saturday 6 August 2011

A Box Full of Sharp Objects

Camp is over! It is completely dominated the last four weeks of my life but it has been completely worth it. Before hand I was unsure what it would involve and whether I would enjoy it. I had heard plenty of horror stories of summer camps that resembled the Lord of the Flies. However, I can honestly say that the whole experience has been fantastic. The organisation was perfect, the kids were great and everyone I worked with were wonderful. I don't want to gush but it has been awesome. Personally, I got some really good feedback about my classes which was a relief because at the end of my observation conversation had shifted to incest. We were talking about royal families you see. Camp was a lot of fun, couldn't have asked for anything more.

The last day culminated in presentations of inventions they had created. My class was in competition against the others and held up well. If one of my two groups don't win its a travesty. One went for a high brow solution to generating electricity in the future while the other went for a flying book carrier thing. Basically both were cardboard boxes with some straws attached but as I said, travesty if they don't win! One little girl from a different class had come up with a hair growth product, she used me as an example, what a bitch.

The real highlight was the kids. Teenagers seem to get a tough press in every country but these kids were intelligent, motivated and a lot of fun. In a month I only had to use the red daddy discipline folder once. A small scuffle due to over tiredness. Rather than just write the account, the supervisor Neil and I managed to make it a much more gripping tale. My favourite lines were "Student A hit boiling point after being sprayed with cold water (that's how angry he was)" and "Student A responded by driving his size 5 Nike basketball shoes into Student B's thigh, connecting twice". I just hope it doesn't have to be used for anything official or it could back fire very quickly. Being teenagers there were some very short lived and intense realtionships. There were dizzy highs and crushing lows often within the space of one afternoon. We all had to dish out realtionship advice, if only they knew how unqualified I am to give them advice on any front but especially that one, and were told we were cramping various kids styles. At one point they were playing truth or dare and one teacher Ancor decided to get a better listen. We lifted him through the window and he hid behind the curtain before being uncovered with a dramatic flourish. He was there long enough to learn some pretty shocking information. My teenage years were a lot quieter, I blame Charlton.

Talking of Chalton. The huge news is of course, the restarting of the football season! Oh yeah, it's back! The sigh of disappointment and the look on my mother's face said it all, it was gone but now it's back. I was lucky enough to be at Charlton's first game today, a rolicking 3-0 win! It was a surreal experience no one really knew how to react. We played really well, and won, easily. All the new signings looked good but Dale Stephens might be the victim of a man crush. He was awesome. The manager and players can feel pleased with themselves but the man who deserves the real credit is my Dad. Literally just as he said "I don't rate Scott Wagstaff", Scott Wagstaff collected the ball, cut inside and slammed the ball past the goal keeper from 25 yards out. You can't buy motivational skills like that. You're welcome Scott.

Other than that I've managed to see some Waitrose guys and the newly employed John, congratulations John! Since I have been basically been solely occupied with camp I haven't been in touch with a lot of people, it's nothing personal. Sorry but you will be hearing from me soon!

Now if you'll excuse me Con Air is on, what a head of hair

love love love x

No comments: