Tuesday 18 January 2011

Spanish Moss



I love you Chris.

It is as if we never left. I'm back in routine with some new added improvements. I pride myself on making my years resolutions last until at least the first week of Febuary. The main has been to do a little Spanish every day and so far so average. I've just been doing a little and I'm trying to work out whether Spanish is hard or if I'm an idiot, I think its a bit of both. The usual eat better and do excerise has been its usual waste of time. I thought I had set a fair few targets until seeing what a friend from school's resolutions, she is determined to completely cut out joy. My Spanish has been tested and found wanted this week as we have had workmen in. Julia had the misfortune to wake up with water spraying out of a pipe in her room. Some plumbers came and then some more guys came to fill the whole in the roof. Being the only one in at the time I did my best to sound gruff, admire their job and be manly, the sort of man who could do this job if he wanted. I failed but I can't blame the Spanish...

Its been a good week. Went out at the weekend and ended in one of the strangest places ever. It looked like every miserable shopping arcade you get in places like Swindon or Dartford but every shop was actually a metal bar. I'm not one to comment on fashion generally but some of the stuff on display was truly special. The average age must have been 17, mum and dad were on the end of some serious abuse. I had my first run in with the law. It is against the law to drink in the street in Spain but normally the police turn a blind eye. This one didn't. Seeing me with drink in hand standing at the top of some steps he gestured at me from the bottom of them. He gestured writing a fine in his book and kept pointing at me. In my state I didn't quite understand what this could possibly mean so I just stood there looking puzzled which made him annoyed. As he came up the stairs I realised what he meant put the drink down and walked off. He came up and glared at me as he kicked my pint over. Now I know how these guys felt.


Fortunately the number of underage, street drinking Goths distracted him. Of course if he had come over I wouldn't have N.W.A-ed him (yeah I use it as a verb, what of it?) I would have been very polite, smiled a lot and played my best ignorant foreigner card.

Class is back in full swing, lots of new faces, I've lost some students too, which is normal before anyone thinks anything. Some I'm delighted to see the back off, others not so. I have one new student who has been in America and is very good but says things like sidewalk, gas and my favourite, fo sho, like Omar from the Wire. In my corporate class I've been moved up the -1 floor to floor 16. I'll own that tower in no time.

Otherwise I spend my time thinking about Chris. He is our new manager. I normally don't like hero players coming back as manager but its Chris, there should never be a time when he is not at Charlton in some capacity. It's first managerial job so maybe it will be a master stroke. I'm caustiously optimistic. Please don't fuck it up, I couldn't bear it.

love love love x

No comments: