Tuesday 25 January 2011

An Afternoon in the Town Hall

This conversation was held in broken English and Spanish with an impressive multitude of hand gestures. It has been cleaned up here.

Council Man: What can I do for you?

Me: I need a new NIE number (the number you receive when you register as a foreign resident)

CM: What happened to yours you cretin?

Me: My copy was in a bag that was stolen a few months ago.

CM: Why do you need one?

Me: For loads of things! Because my old foe CAN bank, the Moriarty to my Holmes, has closed in Madrid leaving me without a bank in a last desperate attempt to defeat me. Without an NIE number I can't open a new account.

CM: A passport is enough.

Me: Thats what their website said but, no.

CM: You said it was a copy, that must mean that you sold the original to a Colombian drug cartel, some Jihadists or Russian people smugglers.

Me: My former employer has it, they were shady I grant you but not that bad!

CM: Ask them for it then retard.

Me: I have, no response, CAN has evidently got to them.

CM: Well without one you are aware that in the eyes of the Spanish government you no longer exist.

Me: Well I do have my NIE number here on my contract and here on my old Pamplona healthcard. So I do have it, but apparently those don't count

CM: Well obviously.

Me: Why don't they count?

CM: Because

Me: Because?

CM: Because.

Me: But Pamplona is in Spain surely that counts?!

CM: Nope, Navarra is an autonomous community so no it doesn't count. We need you to prove it was stolen.

Me: Is the police report enough?

CM: We would prefer you had a written account from the guy who took the bag or at least a sketched picture of the event but the report will do. But this doesn't have your NIE number on it!

Me: I know, because the NIE was in the bag.

CM: Well that's no good. You haven't said the NIE was in the bag on this form.

Me: There's no option for it so I ticked other.

CM: Well other could be anything...

Me: I need the number!

CM: Well clearly you can't be trusted with it.

Me: Please!

CM: Well you need to identify yourself with two forms of ID.

Me: I have my passport, what else counts?

CM: Ideally your NIE.

Me: Silence other than gentle sobbing.

CM: Well come on now, its not that bad. You just can't open a bank account, buy things online and just hope to God the police don't stop you at any point. We also strongly advise not getting sick.

Me: Louder sobbing

CM: We can't do anything today. Come back tomorrow and as nothing will have changed we can go through this all over again from tomorrow until eternity.....



love love love x

No comments: