Sunday 19 December 2010

Get Off My Ghost Train

Greetings from a nervous Madrid. The thought of eating a chicken burger in Burger King at the airport for Christmas has frayed tempers. Teachers are sitting in front of computers, refreshing travel update pages, trying to get a much more detailed weather report than the BBC can offer and calling various airports cunts. To make it worse you have to go onto the Guardian report and listen to some self righteous tosser sitting in his house in Tooting saying things like "why do idiots try and travel at this time of year?" or "I'm reminded how happy I am that I made the decision to live simply, the rewards are clear". Pleased with yourself aren't you? *Bangs head against keyboard*

When not picking fights with people I don't know and I never met I've been getting into the Christmas spirit. I have some presents though as always my Mother's gift is going to go to the wire. I have been to a few Christmas markets, on of which was the busiest place I have ever been. The lights are up in the street, Church is all adventy and we had the office party. We pulled out all the stops to put on our Christmas shindig. It was held in the school cafeteria. I finished class, wandered down to be rammed into a cafeteria, looked at my feet and had some quiche. At one point we were press ganged into having some photographes taken with the ladies from the Spanish department. You know its bad when someone says as you are waiting for the flash that you should just pretend as if we were friends. There was a strict three drink limit (two alcoholic, one soft drink) which was enforced with vigour and IH King even said a few words. I'm being harsh it was fun, but going out after was a lot of fun. It ended at six in the morning so work the next day was a trial. Luckily the morning was all stuff like seminars where attendence is merely "expected" and not compulsory.

Sunday night football is soon becoming a highlight of the week. Such deftness and skill is hard to imagine. I was pretty terrible last time out so I'm hoping to up my game to 6/10 today and if I can't score I least want to take someone out with a hideous two footed challenge. Due to the snow Charlton have barely played in the last month, I have been like a recovering smack addict. I've been shivering, swinging between fever and cold and muttering Thierry Racon's name under my breath. Normal service has resumed in the cricket. It was my fault, the day before I gave Kevin some trash talk and cue a good old fashioned batting collapse.

School is great at this time of year. I get to read my book while students do the exam and then the last class is just listening to Christmas songs and looking at words like elf, north pole and reindeer. Michael Buble's version of Let It Snow works well as the students can get the words pretty quickly though mid way through the second listen through I want Michael Buble to be locked into a sound proof (airtight) box. It truly is a magical time of year.

See you soon for yuletide japes.

love love love x

No comments: