Sunday 26 September 2010

Dollars and Cents



Hola! I made it! The journey went smoothly which makes me paranoid as I will have to pay for that later but so far so good. I emerged from the metro onto street for the first time and was in a great mood. It was lovely and sunny and there was a man playing an accordion, which I now already know is a common occurance. My good was unaltered by the fact that I saw a huge billboard from my school within thirty seconds. I met my new flat mate Antonio who is very nice. My Spanish was tested to its feeble limits but I was pleased with how much I understood and how much I could say, but as I got more tired it fell off a cliff and it became more a struggle. I'm hoping I'll learn a lot.

It turned out to be a strange day. Antonio is a keen amateur photographer. He said he and some friends were going to Toledo to photograph an event and asked me if I wanted to come along. I couldn't quite catch what was going on in Toledo, something to do with a war. I was thinking of maybe a civil war memorial, or maybe something to do with the medieval wars in which Toledo was an important part. Then I heard that it was to mark a 30th anniversary which kept me wondering as to what war it could possibly be. Star Wars. It was Star Wars. Around 30 guys descended on Toledo to march and display their light sabre prowress. I don't know why they choose Toledo but then what do I know? I can't even quote the entire script of the Empire Strikes Back. A marching band played the Star Wars theme and nerds dressed as storm troopers marched through the medieval streets. There was then a light sabre fight but they were being careful, despite the sabres being the cheap plastic ones, so it had the effect of it being in slow motion, which in my mind at least made it much better. I had fun but I don't think I can say the same about the guys involved, but they were taking it very VERY seriously. It just does prove that even if I do manage to understand most of what someone says in Spanish it the small parts can make a big difference! Possibly a controversial point, but I don't understand the fuss about Star Wars, I like Star Wars but why anyone would dress as a bounty hunter thirty years later beats me.

It's already very different to Pamplona. No signs of anything Basque, lots more Spanish flags. I've been constantly reminded that apparently Spain have recently won some type of international football tournament. Lots more people but fortunately it doesn't feel to crowded. Somethings are similiar, banks are backwards and most things are still shut on a Sunday which I still find really frustrating.

I have my first of two inductions on Tuesday, it's a full day and involves something called a 'webinar'. It's time like this I become a grumpy old man. Fortunately I'll have day to recover from my grumpiness as there is a general strike on the 29th. By default I'm striking in solidarity, in your face 'the man'. I'm still nervous, especially when I got sent a copy of the code of conduct today, apparently this school doesn't stand for sexual harrassment... drat.

I miss you already

love love love x

No comments: