Wednesday 16 June 2010

Primary Colours



Oh, Spain. What have you done? You can literally touch the deflation. Since Saturday there have been a lot of smug students full of Rob Green jokes but how the tables have turned. The bar I was in had flag drapped people who were screaming for a penalty pretty much constantly but by the whistle it was silent. Isn't football brilliant?

It has been a busy weekend. I went down to Madrid and it was a great weekend. We went down to see Rage Against the Machine, and they really were worth the wait. I literally poured out every ounce of angst I had and left wanting to find and destroy the nearest Mc Donalds. I never realised how obscenly talented Tom Morello is and there is not a man on this planet angrier than Zac De La Rocha. They were ably supported by Cyprus Hill, who were a lot of fun, unlike the other support Jane's Addiction.

On Saturday we watched the England game surronded by Americans who had little idea of the rules and were full of expressions, like "good hussle!" and "get back on d!". I love them. There was some proper culture as well with a trip to a gallery and a the bull fighting museum. It was a strange museum, every bull that has killed someone in Madrid has had its head mounted on the wall. They still have the blood in their hair, its pretty horrible. We did watch some bull fighting on tv and its a strange experience. It's a long process with three parts. The first a man on a horse stabs the bull with a spear, the second is the worst when men run at the bull in all directions and stick small spears into it and only the last stage is the bull fighter. It is difficult to see the blood and the death of the bull is just it falling over so it wasn't as gory as I expected. In the end I didn't feel like I was watching art but also I didn't feel angry, just sad. The inenvitiabilty and pointlessness of the whole thing, the pomp and ceremony for killing a proud animal that never stood a chance.

We went on a tour of the Bernabeau. It's alright, no Valley of course. The trophy room was I suppose a little impressive, when looking at their nine European Championships I couldn't help think, didn't win the FA cup in 1947 though, did you? Madrid is wonderful. I had no image of it in my head but it was great and its nice to see it for yourself, it not as full of fascists as some people would like you to believe!

I'm surronded by paper at the moment, I fear drowning in it all. There are exams everywhere! They are lurking in all corners, waiting to pounce. They have found willing allies with a large pile of reports and rewriting some projects. The biggest thing however is arts and fucking crafts. For a week I have to spend mornings helping kids to make loveable but poor nic nacs that parents will pretend to love, be forced to display through the embarrassment before throwing it in a drawer somewhere only to be seen when the child has grown into a proper person. The problem is I can't make arts and crafts, never have, never will be able to. The only thing I ever finished when I was at school was a clay candle snuffer that was meant to look like a choirboy, it was christmas. It was woeful. I was given a lump of clay rolled a small bit as a head stuck it on and painted the whole damn thing red. Then used a pencil to poke in a face that looked like the poor choir boy was being buggered by a priest. Dad gave up the pretence of liking it within ten minutes of bringing it home, Mum still has it and claims to like it. As I won't be able to help them make the crafts I'll just be there to try and stop them sticking their hands together.

I hope you are all well. What is going on with you? I get home on the 8th and hopefully I'll be able to catch up with you all soon.

love love love x

No comments: