Tuesday 1 June 2010

Death at a Funeral

Ahoy hoy,

How are you all? Everything is winding down here. My kids classes are finished meaning I got to finish at four today. In your face people with real jobs. I have to confess to mentally having checked out a bit. No difference there then. My students are the same, they could at least try to hide their distaste of the fact there are three weeks left. My class of teenagers did save their best for last by bringing a turtle they had found to class. Of all the places on the planet these kids grubby little hands would be amoung the last you would want to a living creature to be in. Getting the poor bastard back to the lake was a difficult procedure based on one of the boys repeated attempts to try and get as much torture as he could into the walk. Fortunately the turtle is fine. Saying bye to the eight year olds was actually sadder than I thought. I'd thought I'd be delighted to see the back of them but I was sad to see them go.

Having more free time would allow me more time to be productive and expand my horizions but instead of that I used it to play hours of x-box. Namely a game called of Gears of War 2 which is even more violent than it sounds. It has a game mode entitled horde where there are 50 levels of enemies who get progressively stronger. What started as a casual look turned into interest which turned into single minded focus. There was a lot of shouting, cursing and at one point a chasm of despair. However on Sunday it was all over, all 50 levels done and hundreds of aliens scum dead. Lukash and myself finally having to look at the shells of men we are. Though at least now when students ask a question I'll focus on the grammar rather than level 37, images of which may forever haunt me.

It was my turn to compile the months pub quiz. Asking the questions is actually very stressful. I was really nervous. Would they like the questions? Is it to easy? Is it too hard? I did have a partner Toby who I wrote the damn thing with only for everyone to forget to tell her the venue had changed, opps. With the exception of a few simple points additions it went well. Here are some of the questions?

13 year old Jordan Romero has just become the youngest person to do what?

Who played the Good, the Bad and the Ugly?

Name the 3 UN member states that begin with the letter H?

Why is Spencer Percivel unique among British Prime Ministers?

The Henry Delauney trophy is awarded for winning which sporting competition?

Answers on a postcard. The top three teams were seperated by a point each, it was neck and neck stuff. By the end my voice was shot and I was drunk.

Before departing I'll post this, an article from the Guardian about Pamplona's Opus Dei university. It's only short.
www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/30/opus-dei

According to my students are more of them than you may think. They speak in the same consprital terms as talking about, whisper it, there may be Real Madrid fans in the city. I'm not sure which they would find more upsetting.

love love love x

No comments: