Saturday 24 April 2010

The Year Before the Year 2000

I had a very strange incident yesterday morning. In class I was chatting to a student about San Fermin who is the patron saint of Pamplona. That led us on to patron saints generally. He asked who the patron saint of England is. I told him St. George and he asked what we do to celebrate. I joked that no one in England even remembers that it's St Georges day or won't notice until half way through the afternoon. He asked me what day it was on I told him the 23rd of April. He looked at me like I had just slapped him in the face and pointed out that it it was the 23rd April. It was a more embarassing way to prove my point than I would have liked but it worked nonetheless. If any patriots are reading, don't cry about it, I defended England later against charges of being anti-Estonian.

The visit to the doctor, blood test results pending, was a success! Its an unusual experience carrying a test tube of piss in your inside pocket on a bus. The girl next to me had no idea! The fool! I find myself to be competitive with the doctor. I saw the eye test as a challenge, she laid it down, she said my eyes may not be upto scratch. Wrong! I had trouble remember how to say some of the lesser used letters and I still nailed it, jumping from the table punching the air and shouting "av it!" I was a little surprised though as I do spend 90 percent of my life looking at screens.

I made my first appearance on a karaoke stage for a good while. I blew the room away with a happy-go-lucky yet powerful rendition of "She Loves You". On Saturday I played some poker. I say some, I mean EIGHT HOURS of poker. With the exception of sleeping I have never done anything for eight hours. Four in the morning, falling asleep at the table, being shouted out by a drunk wide boy, it was quite an evening. We pushed through and I only came out 5 euros down which was better than expected. I had one massive win early, quadropling my pot but that was it, for the rest of the evening it just went down and down. As Emmet said "This is poker, you didn't come here for fun did you?" Like football, it's deadly serious. The week has been so busy, mainly due to my own laziness but I'm glad I made it to the end in one piece.

Just before I go, I need to get something off my chest.

FUCK YOU ICELAND.
FUCK YOU.

I have had enough of that floating rock. Alex and Andrew are supposed to be here right now, but Iceland and it's spewing volcanic mess has put pay to that. Magnus Magnesun was rubbish on Mastermind, Bjork can't sing and their frozen food is terrible. It's on Iceland.

I need to sit down and think long and hard about what I'm going to do next year, if anyone wants to make a decision for me get in touch.

love love love x

No comments: