Tuesday 30 March 2010

Babs Uvula Who?

Hello! Sorry (probably not the right word) for the lack of a post but I have been busy. It is exam time for the kids again. It seemed like only yesterday that I first got to see their happy faces drop into despair but its here again. They have all done well, including one 100%! The exams are good as you dont have to do anything in class but the marking and report writing that follows always makes up for it. I have used the same six stock phrases rotated to ensure they all have a different one from last time and that the kid who sits next to them doesn't have the same.

What free time there was this weekend was taken up by Alice, selfish. In fairness there has been a lot of watching a download bar like a spectator sport. We went out on Friday evening with Felicity and Lukash and it ended up being pretty heavy. On Saturday morning I was physically sick like a thirteen year old girl. It was a time of mourning though as the beautiful barmaid will no longer be working there. I don't think the owner knows quite the feelings he has unleashed. The weekend was more productive as with a great deal of help from Marc and Kathryn we headed out into Navarra. Shamefully in the time I have been here I hadn't ventured far into the countryside. The most obvious thing is that, there is a LOT of it. Navarra is really, really empty. It's most notable towns can't be too much bigger than New Ash Green. Very beautiful nonetheless.

We started in Javier, named after the Patron Saint of Navarra San Javier who was born there. He was cannonized for his missionary work in Asia, he is buried in Goa and Japan, it's probably not best to ask why seperate. He also encountered something called the miracle of the crawfish but my Spanish failed me. Onwards into Aragon, as in Catherine of, to a village called Sos, which was absolutely beautiful. It's one of those strange Spanish things that they come back to their home village and the population of these tiny villages swells during the summer to fall away to virtually nothing in the winter. A German friend in Pamplona came interested in these peoples sex lives, he was thinking somewhere between Hot Fuzz and Eyes Wide Shut.

It was lovely to have Alice here though I'm glad to not be sleeping on the floor anymore, I think one night I slept directly on my left kidney, if thats possible. Put some photos up in the next few days.

Its a three day week, I finish tomorrow and I can't wait to be honest. Be great to have a break. My heart has really not been in it this week, showing DVDs, that sort of thing. I remember watching the Disney Tarzan in German and it did me no good but these kids seem to be into it. When one lesson the DVD didn't work the look on their was like they had just realised their own mortality, but it was X-Men 2 so it was understandable. My half arsed week is best summed up by the fact I now need to go and work out just exactly what I'm teaching in a few hours time.

Home on Friday, I'll be in time for Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles. See you there.

love love love x

No comments: