Monday 16 November 2009

Heads Will Roll

Greetings. After my foray into the world of national politics I'm returning to much more comfortable territory, talking about myself.

Its been a tough Monday. I've gone back to work after the weekend more tired than when it started. I got to bed at 7 in the morning on Friday night, that isn't as wild as it may seem, for Spain that's pretty usual but for me, I don't like to be further from my bed for longer than six hours at anytime for any reason. The strangest incident was walking between a bar to a club. I was talking to Dan when suddenly a young lady threw herself into my arms. Now this may be hard to believe but women draping themselves over me is not a usual occurrence, in fact it's never happened before. I stood there not sure when and how I had slipped into this parallel universe but it all became clear. She was English and was just delighted to hear an English voice. She demanded to know where I was from, she was from Bromley, which is very close to Kent which made her extremely happy. She reached stratospheric level of happiness, close to becoming a part of the divine, when I told her my Dad actually works in Bromley. This was in the space of about 15 seconds, then her stern and dull looking friend (from Kent incidentally) took her away while glaring at me as if I was a pervert, trying to lead her back to my flat as if I was the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. You can tell the English, battered with her legs around a stranger. Strangely we met some more English students later. They are training to be doctors, despite not knowing Spanish, they are working in a hospital. Trying to top up my bus card with only hand gestures can be difficult let alone trying to work out what exactly is wrong with someone as they bleed on your shoes.

It was a sporting weekend. Charlton, England football and cricket, the Redskins and in our flat Ireland vs France taking on Viking Saga epicness. I spent the week furious with my beloved Charlton. A week yesterday, the annual humiliation that is the FA cup was even worse than normal as an amateur team knocked as out for the first time in our history, a bar man scoring the winning goal. Then on Tuesday we were knocked out of another trophy by our unbearable ex-manager, so I had a complete sulk on for the entire week, but then they go and spoil it all by doing something wonderful like smashing five past the franchise scum.

www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?matchid=4602&type=m

Read it, love it, be it.

Unfortunately Cormac was not so lucky. The French beating Ireland in the first leg of their world cup qualifier. Despite feeling sorry for myself all Saturday with a terrible head, Cormac's disappointment pulled me out of the flat and back out on Saturday. It was rough and frankly undignified.

Another weekend when I managed to get cooked for by someone else. I'm yet to repay all these meals and my debts are growing. Sunday evening Lukash and Felicity hosted a very civil evening where I was expected to talk about grown up things and act my age which I managed to achieve with varying levels of success.

Lessons are going ok. Adult classes I like and feel generally ok, teaching teenagers and children I don't think I'm very good at. I feel guilty, people train for years, I remember watching Katie working like crazy, to become a primary school teacher. I've not had a minutes training and learning on your feet is one thing but it takes time and these kids shouldn't be guinea pigs. Though that is how TEFL works everywhere so I'm not alone.

My flights are booked, I'm back late on the 18th and I look forward to seeing you all. I'm preparing for scenes like these:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE9oPxofZ0E

... easy now

love love love x

No comments: