Monday 26 October 2009

King Eternal

Hello you. How the devil are you? Everything is quiet here. We don't get paid until a week today and money is tight so all the new teachers are scrimping and saving. We have have been trying to find things to do for cheap/free. The best way of doing this is to getting yourself a map and find the nearest big bit of blue and head there forth with, as nothing says fun like a lake.



Our nearest lake is in the fine town of Aoiz, the name is more unpronounceable than it first appears. It was lovely though eerily quiet which gave it a slight post-apocalyptic feel. The initial plan was to walk around the lake for out door activity, conversation and famous five-esque japes. However, while walking along a track a white land rover flew around the corner and politely informed us that we weren't allowed down here. My initial reaction to such confrontational and flagrant abuse of power is to go out shooting but we decided to meekly say yes sir and turn around. When he had left we turned the encounter into a brush with lake fascists. Fuck the police, y'all.

That was last Sunday, this weekend I've spent the weekend being cooked for. If you are struggling to think of something to do this weekend I would throughly recommend it. Dan made some beautiful canaloni while the rest of us helped him by sitting in the living room discussing such important matters as which song has the best intro (Gimme shelter by the Rolling Stones, obviously) and who would win in a fight between Bruce Lee and Mohammad Ali. Sunday was a lovely day in front of the football while Katharyn roasted a chicken. Marc had a horrendous footballing day, his Korean (he did live in Korea) team lost and thus missed the playoffs, Man Utd lost and Osasuna were denied by a last minute equalizer. Once we get paid we are planning a bit of a blow out.

I've also had to lay down some good old fashioned discipline. I've learned that slamming a door or threatening to phone call parents will reduce a child to doing your class recycling in a desperate bid to appease you. My teenagers can be a handful. Though my knowledge of Spanish swear words is increasing thanks to them. One told me he could swear in English, wrongly, I asked to hear them, they were very mild, crap and piss and he even included silly. I laughed and turned just to hear him shout "oh and CUNT!"

It transpires that Halloween is actually fairly important in Spain. My Spanish teacher has demanded our presence in costume on Saturday. I have no idea what to go as, so if any of you (not you Alex) has any ideas please let me know.

It's all pretty quiet. I am currently compiling a mammoth post on nationalism, so thats something to look forward to! Nationalism here can be awkward, I had a lesson on politics today and it was just a case of letting the Spanish and the Basques argue before just letting myself out after an hour and a half. Once I have my own mind sorted I'll subject you to my bout of naval gazing.

But I will lay down some Spanish on ya. My Spanish is still pretty basic and involves a lot of pictures, like so:




As you have made out through my artistic ability I have been trying to get body parts down. A few are:

Pelo: Hair
Ojo: Eye
Mano: Hand
Brazo: Arm
Cabeza: Head

I'm pretty good with adjectives:
Gordo - Fat
Delgado - Thin
Guapo/a - Beautiful (o for men , a for women)
Feo/a - Ugly
Estupido- Stupid
Gracioso - Funny
Fuerte - Strong
Debil - Weak
Rapido - Fast
Despacio - Slow

To describe people you need:

Soy ______ - I am ________
Tu eres ________ - You are _________
El/Ella es _________ - He/ She is _________
Nosotros somos ________ - We are ________
Vosotros sois ________ - You (plural) are _______
Ellos son - They are ________

So there you go you can describe people in Spanish! Congratulations, you know as much as I do. As you can see I don't stop teaching when I clock out, I just care too much.

Tu eres guapo/a - You are beautiful, go on, go and make someones day.

A few other choice words you need to know are:
Hijo de puda: Son of a whore - the worst thing you can say
Leggings: Leggings
Verde: Smutty
Juego de la pulga: Tiddly Winks

My Spanish isn't very good or functional but it's getting better, it's better than my Romanian got due to my shameful laziness. Knowledge is the bomb.

love love love x

No comments: