Saturday 17 October 2009

Pints of Guiness Make You Strong

Hello everyone, due to the internet installing fellow forgetting the router (the Mexican freaked out) we are still without internet. So apologies if I havent replied to any emails or facebooks or whatevers, I will do.

Everything is good apart from that it is absoutely freezing! This is not what any of us signed up for. The sun is shining only for you to step out in a shirt before the cold hits you and you scamper defeated to go and get a coat. This hasn´t been helped by being given a new class which is half an hour out of the city. It means getting up in the dark and cold and trudging to the car to be emasculated by Cormac´s sat nav, which is a lonely and bitter piece of equipment. The class is a washing machine factory in the middle of the countryside, and everyone seems a bit ´Norfolk´. It also smells terrible beyond belief. Its so bad it makes you physically wretch. This has been counterbalanced by a lovely class of one man, who is a football fanatic, history nerd, who speaks fantastic English, so what´s not to like? He almost hugged me like I was his long lost son when he found out I did a history degree. We had one lesson on appeasement, it was bliss.

Last night was also the big CLEN college dinner. A chance for us all to get together and make awkward small talk with our employers. It was really nice though apart from feeling sick after eating my own (considerable) body weight in pasta. In excess not seen since 1970s cock rock Spain doesn´t do starters, it does two main courses, I was taken completley by surprise by this so had already eaten a load of bread. It was a marathon and proof that those guys in America who eat 90 hotdogs in 3 minutes deserve to be considered among the greatest athletes alive. The night continued the way all good nights should do with Worlds Strongest Man, Terry Hollands was doing England proud. It was a multinational evening. I met a German who helped to reverse some of the suspicion gained from a book entitled ¨The Germans Will Try It Again" and a Mexican waitor who lived in London so littered his speech with mates, sons and al´wights. I felt bad for him when two collegues laid into his resturaunt for a good while, he took it well. There was also a Spanish guy whose favourite past time is to stand at the start line of the bull run and tell drunk foriegners that they are going to die. Good clean fun. It ended crawling into bed at five and I have spent today feeling sorry for myself.

Somehow I´ve managed to get recruited into a football team, a pub quiz team and even, for the love of God, a Gaelic football team. I youtubed it (using the word youtube as a verb, whatever next?) to find this brief explanation. Treat yourselves to a little look.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4GKlbk2J_o?

Not being much of a sportsman, with the exception of sock football and Mario Kart (some people don´t think of these as sports but I do) I imagine after ten minutes I´ll probably be flat on my back, completely out of breath, out my depth and maybe even weeping a little. I did say I would try though and in true warm and fuzzy sentiment thats the best anyone can do.

Theres also been a surprising amount of coverage of Stephen Gatleys death, I hope you are all coping. It replaced the news story that the prime ministers daughters are goths which had been on TV for ages.

apologies again, a return to proper blogging soon.

love to your mothers x

No comments: