Tuesday 14 April 2009

Oh Messy Life!

I hope you have all had a lovely easter and aren't sick of the sight of chocolate. Summer is almost here! Being at home is ok, its 6 out of 10, not bad, so so. It has been really great seeing family and a few friends, though I hope to go visiting properly soon. Unwanted house guest ahoy. I don't think my sister has enjoyed me being home as now without realising, and it isn't on purpose, I correct her grammar, which is frankly shocking. The downside is twiddling thumbs until the job list is published, and for the moment there is no whiskey to bottle, so I have a lot of time on my hands. Its not so bad at the moment but I think it will get old pretty quick. It seems like an age since I was in Romania, when in fact it is just over a week.

I did say I was going to write my final thoughts on Romanian life, an obituary of my Romanian life if you will. I did write something similar at Christmas and not much time has elapsed since then so not a huge amount has changed, however I will try my very best.

There are many things I will miss about Romania, mainly the really good people I was lucky enough to meet. Living in a big city was great, when you don't drive just getting out of the village involves throwing yourself on the mercy of others or planning an operation of ruthless military efficiency. I miss the beautiful parks, my little flat, a strange but wonderful Church of the Resurrection, the scahrma, the look of warmth in the eyes of strangers when they realise you are foreign and don't know what is going on. Most of all I miss how I didn't know what was going on. I like my village but nothing is new, nothing changes. Sometimes that's nice, like comfort food, sometimes its not. People said the same about Bucharest but it was new to me! It was fun finding out about things like Martisor, finding new places and getting used to the different ways people do things. Alternatively its not great when you get home to the usual shit. I didn't realise people are still banging on about Jonathon Ross, he made a bad phone call, he wasn't a Nazi concentration camp commander.

There are some things I don't miss, the dogs, the attitude to gypsies, the staff at my local safeway. As I said it seems like a long time ago and I'm busy trying to concoct some sort of plan for the next year or so. Life is hard. Though before that there is the small matter of a summer to navigate....

Lets make plans it will be fun x

No comments: