Wednesday 25 March 2009

The House That Jack Built



I was lucky enough to be visited by these two no good street punks. It was absolutely lovely. They arrived late on friday, we went for a few drinks where Sophie was hit with some American sport trivia. Saturday was spent wandering around the city, Sophie snapping pictures of everything, including film posters and the nearest that she, or any of us, are ever going to get to Queen Aretha. We took in the city, fortunately the weather was good so it looked relatively cheery. We trekked for hours. I was acting like one of those Asian mountain shurpers (sp?) imparting knowledge that I was 70% sure was correct. Truth and things I made up/guilliably believed have melded in my mind and taken on a life all its own. We savoured the delights of a Romanian kebab, the Scharma, which is just a food stuff of complete and utter genius. Kebabs at home are dead to me.

A little known fact about me is that every now and again I like to dabble my toes into the murky world of association rules football. However, I can assure you Sophie and Kelvins trip to see the mighty Dinamo was entirely voluntarily. It was a little bit of a local derby, as Dinamo were playing Otopeni, which is a small town just outside Bucharest. This however proved to far away as there were about 30 Otopeni fans, you could smell the fear as Romanian football fannery does involve a healthy degree of violence. We were in the more casual seats due to that very reason, where people eat a HUGE amount of sunflower seats. They split the shells and it sounds like you're surrounded by lots and lots of type writers. The shells are then spat onto the floor and some poor bastard has to come and sweep them all up. Despite Dinamo being on their way to the league title (HA! Addy) and Otopeni being just outside the relegation zone it was 0-0. Dinamo had a goalkeeper that demanded attention regardless of what was happening on the pitch and there were a few pretty horrific tackles so it was far from a disappointment.



I had to work on monday, booooo, so Kelvin and Sophie were allowed to run free like children on some sort of fizzy drink. We now know that that museums are all closed on a monday so they struggled onto Carol I park, the park will come in a later post. They seemed to have fun and certainly more than I was having banging my head against a desk. After a lovely meal they had to leave and I was left broken and alone. I had a great time, it was great to see them and I hope they enjoyed their time here. Soon I am hoping to become the visitor so all of you should be aware of a potential uninvited and throughly unwanted visit. Brace yourself x

No comments: