Thursday 23 June 2011

Don't Tell Me To Do The Math(s)

Spain is good. Let's make that clear from the start. I'm leaving on Friday next week and I thought I'd try to write down some of the differences between the nation of my birth and my new adopted nation. Being away from Britain has made me more fond of it. You realise what a good place it is once you move away and that everywhere has things that will drive you mad. Spain is no exception. There are wonderful things and there are things that will make you want to grab a gun and find the nearest clock tower. Here's an insultingly simple summary.

*It's the simple things that take up all your time. Spain is a modern, developed, European country but at times you will doubt that as you hold your head in your hands and weep. My bank card can only be used six times online and then you have to fill out forms. When I queried it the teller looked at me as if I was asking the most stupid, obvious question ever. Lee had his electricity switched off and when he rang them to ask why they said he hadn't paid his bills. It took him days to prove he had paid them despite having all the paper work.

*Stop touching my face

*They make us look bored and uninterested in the lives of celebrities

*The attitude to kids here is a millions time better. They don't just see them as criminals and lay abouts. It's almost as if they like them.

*Spanish pop music is unforgivable
For example www.youtube.com/watch?v=pID_kztZb9I

*Spanish food is no where near as famous as they would like to think

*They manage to go out for longer than we do without fighting, smashing stuff, being sick on the street and getting each other pregnant

*The large majority of people have no interest in bull fighting at all

*The sterotype of Spanish people being lazy is completely unfair though the one of them being passionate about small things is not

*Everything happens later

*They aren't arguing thats just how they talk

*Football may be even bigger here, at 10.00 tonight there is an under 8's football tournament being broadcast nationally. I'm watching

*Said it before and will continue to say it THE MULLET IS NOT BIG AND NOT CLEVER the same applies to white boy dreads

*They have no time for British indirectness. Mike had a swelling on his face and his whole class just pointed at and asked him what the fuck was going on with his face

*Pleases and thank yous are largely unneccessary though I still insist on using them and occasionally people on a till look really pleased and it makes my day

*Generally they have a really positive attitude about Britain with the exception of food, they really, really hate that. They are also baffled by cricket, cretins

Should be an anthropologist

love love love x

No comments: