Monday 25 April 2011

9AM in Madrid

Easter is over. We're back. Classes have restarted, not that my students have seemed to realise.

The week down in Andalucia was fantastic. It all began on Monday morning when the doubters were humbled. They said we couldn't rent a car. They said it would end in disaster, the car wouldn't fit us all in, the dates would be wrong we wouldn't get down to Monda. They were wrong. We were successful on all fronts. It was a six hour drive which proved the fact that the middle of Spain is basically deserted. Hours of farmland, with only tiny towns on the way; once you get to the coast suddenly there are millions of people, most of whom are British or German. I hear that it has been beautiful at home, the hottest on record. Well in Andalucia it didn't stop pissing it down. It rained and rained and rained. The first morning was merely gray and with true British grit we seized our beach window. We there for an hour and a half with about another dozen hearty British types soaking up the rays and enjoying all 12 degrees of heat. It was enough to bring a tear to your eye. Talking of Britishness we managed to see and hour of British television which was entirely dedicated to the Royal wedding. I'm really glad I won'ty be at home until it all blows over. I said the Spanish don't give a shit but thats not entirely true as it has been on Spanish TV every day and based on the one hour we saw I imagine it is unbearable, just get through it will all be over soon. I bet the queen has reminded Kate Middleton, "don't piss me off remember what happened to the last one". Saying that there were some great lines, my favourite being David Starkey saying "I'm gay I wouldn't know about that" when talking about royal virginity. I love you Starkey. I don't think my Grand Mother has ever recovered from finding out Starkey is gay, she would have left Grand Dad for Starkey in a second. We didn't let the rain stop us from having a beautiful walk in the mountains. It was stunning despite not being able to see very much, it looked like this:



It was a little eerie and at the top I was told that you should be able to see Marbella beneath you, you couldn't. Marbella is much nicer than you would expect by the way. I had images of lines of Irish bars and cafes serving full English breakfast but it wasn't at all. We managed a night out in the small village and found a club in full 1970's mode. The walls were covered in glitter, plastic plants and a fuck off massive disco ball. It looked like scar face. I'm not fly its fair to say that the people I was with are superfly but the rain soon puts an end to that. We headed out in anoraks which got as a lot of looks, none of which were welcome. There was bowling, a BBQ that burnt off eyebrows and swimming in a thunderstorm as if we were in a shitty Zac Braff film. It was awesome.

It got even better when I got back and the next day I met my parents who are here until early tomorrow morning. I said not liking the things that the other one likes was the key to keep a marriage alive. I need to clarify that. The key is to smile and say things like "lovely" "really nice" and "interesting" while not enjoying it. My mum smiled while enduring the Bernabeu and Dad made agreeing sounds while walking around the botanical garden. Look and learn kids. We visited the Prado, Il Rastro, Retiro park and even managed to find the worst resturaunt in Madrid/the world. Dad impressed everyone by managing to order wine in Spanish and Mum successfully navigated crossing Atocha roundabout which is easier said than done. So all in all it has been a success. I think they have enjoyed Madrid, they commented on the amount of traffic (theres a lot, thats true) and that people wear a lot of coats. It has been wonderful to see them both.

Real Madrid won a trophy. Despite barely being able to touch the ball for the entire second half and just having Barcelona pass around and around them for the entire time they managed to pull off a one nil win. They went crazy and then proceeded to come back to Madrid and drop the trophy under a bus. I'm not exaggerating, it's smashed to bits. Barcelona are here on Wednesday for the first leg of the Champions League, its going to be huge.

love love love x





No comments: