Tuesday 8 March 2011

Carnival

Hola! It has been carnival time here in Madrid. The carnival in Italy and the south of Spain traditonally is a time of celebration before the beginning of lent. On a side note lent started one hour and 2 minutes ago, hope you are still holding out. In Madrid on the other hand carnival is getting dressed up and getting trashed. Work had their traditional carnival party which involves standing about for a few hours in the cafeteria dressed as an idiot. There is a picture on facebook of my minimal effort attempt. Fake beard and stupid hat, chequed shirt in an attempt to look vaguely woodman like. Not even a noble failure. The fake beard seemed like a good idea but after a few hours I wanted to scratch off my face. That wasn't the lowest point, one of my bosses kept taking the piss about my lack of hair. I may have no hair, but I'm not Australian.

That was not the end of carnival for me however. On what was supposed to be a routine Saturday night where I had absoultely no intention to dress up ended in a face paint disaster. Neil's girlfriend Sara, don't let her small stature fool you she's very persuasive, insisted that John, Neil, Mike and I were to have our faces painted as clowns before we left. We caved. Looking like a clown is strange enough but when dressed in normal clothes it becomes a little sureal. I was in the Beatles t-shirt and 4 (4!) people came up to me pointed at my face and said John Lennon. No not John Lennon. Sara's friends were also clowns which meant 8 clowns in total. Except one who decided to be Neil Pert from Kiss, the one that looks like a cat. So it was 8 clowns and the Kiss drummer. This led to Mike sing 'I was Made for Loving you Baby' all night and since it has not left my head. It was a good night, my highlight being a cock speaking to us at the end. Firstly we were expected to be excited that he was half English. Then he called Neil (who is Irish) English and when Neil corrected him restorted to calling him "one of those republicans".

He made himself look like a tool but I shouldn't judge after my showing on Sunday. I managed to get myself to church. I came in and took a seat at the back and wondered why it was so busy. There's normally a good show but now there was extra seating everywhere and some people were still standing. Then I remembered it was a confirmation day. The place was packed with extended family all in suits and formal dress, while I was in a football t-shirt and jeans. I hadn't showered and when I got home I realised I still had quite a bit of white face paint in my eyebrows. That shit is hard to get out. It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the fact the seat I had chosen was right next to the font where the main proceedings were to happen. The people getting confirmed were literally half a pace in front of me. It got even worse when a bishop who had come from England especially took over proceedings and would have been just out of arms reach. I ducked down to try and ensure that I was in no photos, please God don't let me be in any photos, and when the service was over I just bolted for the door. I think I got away with it and if not if I ask for forgiveness they are stuck.

Other than that everything is good. My new class in a small town called Las Rozas became a lot more interesting when I found out that the Spanish Football teams headquarters is just around the corner. I find it dehabilatatingly distracting, the kids seem better equiped. What if Xavi is there one day? I don't think I could contain myself. Talking of Spanish football Barcelona are quite good aren't they? Just watched the Barcelona vs Arsenal game. I feel bad for Robin Van Persie and I never thought I would say that but Barcelona are just too good. My man crush on Xavi grows, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass. No one seemed to fussed about Charltons big game then the I suppose the Charlton players dont care so I'm not surprised. Useless bastards.

Go on treat yourself
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNGNLo8K6Fk


love love love x

No comments: