Sunday 11 July 2010

Octopus's Garden



They did it! All the depressive mood swings, paranoia and conspiracy theories have been replaced for jumping and cheering with painted faces. Living the dream. They deserved it over a horribly disappointing and cynical Dutch side. I'm genuinely pleased for them.

I've always liked the Dutch team. Every tournament I want them to win but they never do. Usually they play beautifully only to lose to the first decent, organsied side. This year they played ugly and got all the way to the final and usually I would be supporting them without question (obviously the prospect of playing England in a final is exactly zero) but they were playing an adopted country. Despite this my support for Spain was slightly underwhelming until kick off and then realising that actually I really really wanted them to win. Lots of foreign guys at CLEN support whoever is playing against Spain but I wanted them to win and for once the team I wanted to win, did!

Spain were much better. They are a fantastic side. Anyone who thinks they are boring are footballing philistines. They are victims of their own success. If Usain Bolt 'only' wins a race without smashing a world record then it goes down as a disappointing performance. Spain win a World Cup without being at their incredible best. That probably tells you just how good they are. People who think Spain are rubbish will have a difficult job in explaining away how they are currently European and World Champions. People scoff at their passing but that says more about England's outdated ideas on how to play football than it does Spain. It wasn't a classic match, but I didn't think it was terrible, but I'm sure Spain don't give a single, solitary shit. They are an era defining team

I hope you noticed Javi Martinez wearing his San Fermin neck wear. I also wonder about players like him. He has a World Cup winners medal but didn't play a game. Hows does he feel? Is he happy?

I was disappointed in Holland who were poor and very very cynical. There was a real lack of dignity in the face of defeat. Howard Webb will come into criticism for the amount of cards but most of them were completely indisputible. If anything De Jong, at least, should have been sent off for a karate kick to Xabi Alonso's chest.

It wasn't the best World Cup but I think it was better than a lot of people are giving it credit for. What I'm most pleased about is all those obituaries of European football that were written after the group stages need to be withdrawn after a European 1,2,3.

The octopus was right.

Four years to the next one, come on England! Four weeks to the domestic season, come on Charlton!

Non-football fans despair.

love love love x

No comments: