Friday 13 February 2009

Buna

Caring deeply for your development as human beings (which I do) I am giving you a chance to broaden your horizons and open yourselves to the wonders that only the Romanian language can provide. My lessons are taking a break as they sort out me out a new teacher, the other two are unavailable. I think the truth is that they unable to handle the blank look on my face as I try to recall a word I was told 6 seconds ago, anymore. So here I pass the very limited knowledge onto you.

Picture the scene:

Person A (lets call him Jim): Buna!
Person B (lets call him Gavin): Buna Ziua (good day)
Jim: Ce mai faceti? (how are you?)
Gavin: Asa si Asa (so so) si tu? (and you)
Jim: Bine, multimesc (fine thanks)
Gavin: Ma Bucar (I'm glad)

Ma Bucar unfortunately sounds very similiar to the word for backside, so for a while I was wandering around saying backside, but it could have been worse. The other most noticeable misunderstanding was "NU TRANSITI USA" which is written on taxis. I read it as "no transit USA" and thought that was out of line until someone told me it means don't slam the door. Here are some numbers

1 = uno 2 = doi 3 = trei 4 = patru 5 = cinci

6 = sasi (sexy number) 7 = sapte 8 = opt 9 = noua 10 = zece

It gets pretty dull after 10. I'm picking up some vocabulary but unfortunately nothing I'm likely to use. For example "Jaf Armat" is armed robbery. It was on the news before you wonder and unless my career diverges pretty seriously I can't see myself using it. Heres a few more useful bits:

stanga: left
dreapta: right
weekend placut: have a good weekend
acolo: there
aici: here
cu placere: your welcome
acasa: home
prost: bad
dragoste: love (aww)
am chef: I'm in the mood (steady)

Though my Romanian is rubbish I still can't list everything and that makes me feel like a big and important, like a midget at a dwarf convention.

I miss you all x

No comments: